Alex Ball has a new documentary out covering 60 years of Korg instruments – complete with loads of synth demos so you’re getting sounds, not just looking at gear pics.
I missed this last week when of course Synthtopia was on top of it – hat tip! Even the YouTube algorithm was confused why I wasn’t all over it, so there you are. Description:
In 1963 two young men stepped into a factory next to the Keio railway line in Shinjuku, Japan. Their ambition was to make a new autorhythm machine, but over the next six decades their company would become one of the biggest players in music technology and would help define the sound of music around the world.
You get the early history of the company, and then a lot of instruments – 70s, 80s, 90s, noughties, tens, and a few moments on the recent history. That accelerates as you get further, but vintage stuff is likely why you’re here.
And yeah, I’m making the lead image a POLY-61. Now that you won’t see from anyone else, right?
This coincides with the arrival of Bjooks’ new title Patch & Tweak with Korg. That title focuses entirely on stuff you can patch with Korg instruments, including some of the affordable new stuff.
It’s a slightly longer wait for the announced NTS-2 oscilloscope bundle – that’s coming in early 2023. But if you can’t wait for the book, that’s out now. And wow, you get a forward by the great Kitaro.
PATCH & TWEAK with KORG is an in-depth look at Korg’s diverse collection of patchable synthesizers – the MS-20 mini, ARP 2600 M, and volca modular, as well as the SQ-1 and SQ-64 sequencers and the NTS-2 Oscilloscope.
- Packed with patching tips, and synthesis tricks
- 25+ interviews with artists and engineers
- Foreword by legendary composer and musician Kitaro
- 216 colorful pages printed on high-quality certified-ecofriendly paper
- Hardcover format (9.8″ x 9.8″ / 25 x 25 cm)
Explore the principles of semi-modular synthesis, and supercharge your creativity with dozens of tips, techniques, and patches. Synth novices, experienced professionals, Korg enthusiasts, and ARP lovers alike will find this book an essential resource.
PATCH & TWEAK with KORG covers:
- Analog and semi-modular synthesis basics
- Tips and techniques with the three Korg semi-modulars
- Extending the power of your rig with external gear
- Techniques and tricks for the Korg sequencers
- The powerful NTS-2 and all of its studio tools
- Interviews, tricks, and patches from artists
- Insider interviews with Korg engineers
- The history and synthesizers of ARP Instruments
- A photo tour of Korg synthesizers through the years
25+ interviews with artists and engineers
Unlock the creativity and techniques of Pete Townshend, Jean-Michel Jarre, Richard Devine, Andrew Huang, Panic Girl, Legowelt, Red Means Recording, Maude Vôs, Kabuki, Moe Shop, Kristin Hsiao, TALsounds, Robby Stambler, ALOO, ChrisLody, Olga Prudey, On High Mountains, and Loopop. Meet the creative minds of Korg’s great history, from Fumio Mieda and Junichi Ikeuchi to Tatsuya Takahashi and the new generation of Korg engineers, as well as the keepers of the ARP legacy: Dina Pearlman, David Friend, and David Mash.